VOLUNTEER COLLEGE LEVEL ORGANIC CHEMISTRY TUTOR
Project end date: Saturday, June 30, 2012
- Project Type:
- Out of Classroom
- Project Subject:
- Project Location:
- Berkeley, CA
- Project's Owner:
- Biotech Partners ,.
- Project Description:
Biotech Partners provides a comprehensive, hands-on academic and job training program in Berkeley and Oakland public schools for populations typically underrepresented in the sciences, especially students of color, young women and those from low-income households.
This unique program consists of a specialized science and technology curriculum for 11th grade through community college; summer internships for high school students; year round co-op jobs for community college participants; and support services to help each student achieve success.
We are seeking a part-time tutor to work with Community College students September 2011 - June 2012, Friday afternoons for 2-3 hours between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Exact times to be determined. Must be comfortable and familiar working with diverse populations.
Must have knowledge of concepts that support Organic & Intro Chemistry:
• Experience tutoring/teaching
• Strong science skills
• Strong math skills
• Strong problem solving skills
• Good interpersonal skills
Fall semester curriculum
• Dimensional analysis, and the units of measurement in chemistry
• Mole concept and the stoichiometry of solids, gases, and liquids
• Periodic table and modern atomic theory as it relates to the structure of atoms/molecules and their behavior
• The behavior of gases and states of matter via intermolecular attractive forces
• Physical behavior solutions and colloids
• pH, acids and bases
• Rates and equilibrium of simple and biological processes (enzymes)
Spring semester curriculum
• General working knowledge of Organic Chemistry (simple organic reaction, nomenclature, functional groups)
• General knowledge of Macro Molecules in Bio Chemistry (amino acids, proteins, enzymes and their function, simple sugars and carbohydrates and their structure, fatty acids, lipids and their structure, nucleotides, DNA/RNA and their structure).
• Must know generally how they all behave in the physical and chemical sense.
• Carbohydrate metabolism-energy of the citric acid cycle, metabolism of lipids and proteins
• B-oxidation and transamination vitamins and minerals used in metabolism.